Black Dagger Brotherhood: A Steamy Paranormal Romance Series

It's no secret that paranormal romance is among the biggest literary fads of the past decade. Ever since the Twilight series went multi-platinum in 2008, it's been everywhere ever since. Just go to any Barnes & Noble and you'll see an entire section dedicated to paranormal romance.

There is no denying that the genre is polarized. While some love it to the point of being depressed that it's not real, others think that it is the dumbest thing they've ever heard of and can't wait for it to phase out.  I fall into the former category. I absolutely cannot get enough of it. I have even been known to read an entire novel of this genre in one sitting. 

Many of you may be surprised to learn that Stephanie Meyer wasn't the first person to write a paranormal romance series. She was just the first to make it mainstream.  It's funny how a lot of times, a book whose popularity provokes the mainstreaming of its genre is often one of the worst of its kind. Take E.L.James' 50 Shades of Grey for example. While it brought the BDSM genre to many a soccer mom's minivan, most seasoned readers of this type of writing consider it to be a terrible example of adult literature.

To me, the Twilight Saga is much the same. I admit that I devoured all four books. I even attended a midnight release party at Barnes & Noble for Breaking Dawn.  Since this was the first paranormal romance book I read, I guess I should thank Stephanie Meyer for introducing me to the category. However, once I began seeking out more of the same type of series, I realized that Stephanie Meyer merely splashes in the kiddie pool of paranormal romance. If you want to dive into the deep end, keep reading. 

Wrath and Beth Fantasy Casting


Allow me to introduce the Black Dagger Brotherhood series: paranormal romance for big girls. There's no scrawny teenagers sparkling in the sunlight and holding hands on a homework date in these books, ladies. We have  6'6" 300 lb brawny warriors who fight viciously and love with unadulterated passion.

Last summer I discovered Dark Lover, the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. First of all, let me just say that I enjoy reading series more than one-and-done fiction books. As an avid reader, I tend to get really attached to the characters and love how they can "live on" through a series in a way that they can't if they are only part of one book. The book gripped me from page one. It's the sophisticated story about a dark and sensual vampire society living under the radar in New York. Ward demonstrates excellent attention to detail in the creation of her characters, their individual histories, and the world they exist in. And girls, she does not disappoint with the romance scenes! :-)

As you can see, some people get really into the fantasy casting of the characters!
The first book is about the rough-and-tough warrior vampire king, Wrath, who unexpectedly finds himself falling in love with a beautiful young reporter named Beth. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say much else. Let it suffice to say that 4 weeks and 13 books later, I had finished the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and now I have to anxiously await the release of the newest one in March 2015. I envy anyone who has not already started the series! If you like paranormal romance and haven't heard of this series, pick it up! You will love it!


Click here 

No comments